Friday, April 20, 2012

Here a Stitch; There a Stitch

People who know me know that I do not sew. It is sad because I own three very nice, expensive sewing machines that do all manner of decorative stitches -- all given to me (probably in the hope that they might inspire me to learn to sew - HA). It isn't that I don't know how to do the basic things -- sew a straight line to repair a seam, for example -- but I don't enjoy sewing, and despite a couple of classes, I cannot grasp the concepts of putting things together. It is even more sad because my Grandmother was a wonderfully talented seamstress who could make clothes even without patterns.

Having shared that bit of information with you, I now have to admit that I shuddered a bit when this week's challenge for Card Crafter's Circle ( http://cardcrafterscircle.blogspot.com/) required sewing/stitches. OK, so I could have used faux stitches or rub-on stitches as those are allowed, but I'm also not a big fan of either of those techniques, so I bit the bullet and opened up one of the sewing machines and (after two attempts) managed to sew the one panel onto my card. Had planned on sewing the stripy panel, too, but decided not to push my luck!

Anyway, I have managed to babble on quite a bit and haven't told you about the challenge for this week. So here are the details -- Our sponsor this week is another returning sponsor, LIMITED RUNS! There is such a variety of images at Limited Runs that I know our winner is going to have a hard time making a choice. While you're there, check out the freebie offer, and the many many, CUPCAKE images! There are cupcake images for every occasion, and I promise they are calorie free! Our randomly drawn challenge winner will receive their choice of 3 (three) images from the Limited Runs shop. As mentioned, you can use actual stitches, faux hand-drawn ones or rub-on ones. It doesn't matter how you created your stitches as long as we can see them on your card/art work.

My little card is quite simple. The little birthday pup from Limited Run  coloured up so nice and cute that I really didn't need a lot of extras to make this a darling little card with a bit of a masculine feel. Male cards are often difficult to create beause so many of the stamps and digital images available to us card makers tend to be more feminine. In keeping the masculine look, I went with primary colours. My image was coloured with my Copic markers, and the papers I used came from my scrap stash. My sentiment, which matches the Limited Run image perfectly, is from a set that I own designed by Adam Prescott. Last, as some of you know, I'm not a real button fan and don't own a lot of them, so I was very pleasently surprised to find the little star buttons and tiny red ones in my embellishment stash. I was totally unaware that I had them, but thought they were just what my little card needed to finish off.

In closing, let me say that we would love to see what you do with stitches, so get out the sewing machine, sewing/embroidery floss, ink pen or stickers and get busy. Then, hop on over to http://cardcrafterscircle.blogspot.com/ and enter your lovely piece in this week's challenge!

5 comments:

  1. Jenee, you are braver than I! I almost pulled out my machine for this, but then opted for faux!
    I love your layout and those fantastic buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the primary colours, and that little pup is the cutest! Sewing and buttons on one card.....wow, you really are challenging yourself, Jenee.....go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenee you did a great job! You made me laugh reading about your fancy sewing machines! I have fancy embroidery machines and haven't used them in awhile until our new Challenge is to sew something so I embroidered with my machine today. Felt pretty good too!
    Happy crafting!
    Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sewing!! :) Very cute card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared of sewing too so I feel your pain! I *might* try out the sewing machine this week... we'll see... it takes me about an hour to thread the thing so I need to have a lot of patience! I love the bold colours of your card and the fun image.

    ReplyDelete