Tuesday, November 29, 2016

December Birthday

Hello friends!  So happy that you joined me today.  I hope that those of you here in the US had a nice holiday weekend. 

As promised, Tuesday Morning Sketches has a great sketch for you today and a great sponsor.  Our very own Debbie brought you this fun sketch and she's sponsoring, too.

Here's the sketch:


 And she's giving a Spellbinders M-Bossabilities "Santa's Sleigh" Embossing Folder.





I have all the Christmas cards I need so I used this week's sketch to make a birthday card. I have two birthdays (same day) in December. One is male and one female. The girly-girl one is never a problem, but I am always stumped for male cards -- especially the older they get.

I took two sheets of companion papers, a stripe and a solid, and used that for my background. I'm not great at tearing and ended up tearing it the wrong way; consequently, the wonky tear line. In order to conceal some of the wonkiness, I inked the torn edge with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo distressed ink. I then created a sentiment using the computer and cut it out with a Spellbinder nestling labels die. I inked the edges of the cut-out with the distressed ink. Lastly, I added three green buttons to the bottom right corner of the card.

The inside (which I should have photographed and shared with you) is a background of he solid green paper with the sentiment cut out using a larger size of the same nesting dies. I inked the edges of the cut sentiment. I then added punched corner pieces from the striped paper to the four corners.

It actually turned out right well, and will do nicely for the 23 years old young man for whom it is intended.

This is a quick and easy sketch to use. However, it can be elegant, fun or funky depending on the two papers that you use for your background and the image or sentiment you use for the front. I opted against using an image because I didn't want the card to lean towards silly or juvenile. Using the words only kept it more mature (in my opinion).

I hope you will join us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches. We realize the holidays are fast approaching so many of you are busy. We understand. However, you will want to save our wonderful sketches so you'll have inspiration for all your future card needs.

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful masculine card!!
    And there's no wrong way to tear paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great masculine card! I like the distressing an the way you added the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you masculine cards are the hardest but you certainly pull them off well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this birthday card. It's great for a guy but would work for anyone. Great job.

    ReplyDelete