Tuesday, September 4, 2018

N is for Nice



Once in a blue moon (in other words, not very often), we will have a challenge that makes me struggle a bit. They are, after all, called challenges, so if every one was easy where would the challenge be? This was one of the sketches that left me scratching my head.  I knew that I could use ribbon, baker's twine, even wire, to create the element beside the image, but then I really couldn't really figure out a sentiment or image to combine with the decorative element. I pondered my dilemma for quite a bit and decided to change out that funky shape for a letter. September is filled with birthdays that I need to acknowledge, so I settled on a birthday theme and a play on the word "nice." 

Originally I had cut a capital N to use, but it turned out not only to be just a tad too big, but rather lack-luster, so while searching my embellishments and my drawer of letters, I foundthe green glitter n that I used. It is a tad smaller than I would have liked, but the glitter works in a fun way to call attention to it. 

I used a piece of paper with different colored "jelly bean" shapes as my background. I matched the dark, rose pink with a solid from my stash to create the punched border piece that goes across the middle of the card. (I used a Martha Steward border punch.) I used three green brads below the border, and I typed my sentiment onto a lighter pink. 

Since I wasn't really sure how I felt about the card (it really is quite different from my usual style), I put a fun verse on the inside about birthdays being good for you because the more you have the longer you live. Despite being a bit different, it did turn out kind of cute, and the person who will receive it has a sense of humor, so perfect for her.

I've alreasy seen a couple of my teammate's cards for this challenge, and as always, we have come up with totally different ideas. I think you are going to find them all to be quite wonderful, and I hope they will inspire you to try your hand with this sketch.

Happy crafting; have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea for the letter n and I'm glad to see you challenge yourself to do something different, although of course I love all your Jeneé style cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute birthday card! I like the "n" for that squiggly element!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card for this week's sketch and I love the N reference to the sentiment! Great fun background papers too with all those cheerful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely perfect! I love that you used a letter for that element and the overall is so whimsical and fun. It’s a great card.

    ReplyDelete