Friday, November 9, 2012

Challenge 48 - We Remember

Many of us observe Remembrance Day/Armistice Day/Veteran's Day on November 11, taking time to remember all our service men and women who, through too many wars, have given the ultimate sacrifice to their country and for our freedom.

This week our challenge theme is...

Remembrance / Poppies

Your creation should follow our theme, Remembrance, and can be military minded, or in remembrance of someone close to you. The red poppy is a world recognized symbol of remembrance, so you could also create a card using red poppy flowers.

We don't have a digi sponsor this week, but our wonderful "boss lady" is offering a prize for you. She will send, anywhere in the world, a lovely selection of ribbons, all 1 metre lengths (picture shown on Card Crafter's Circle blog). Now who doesn't like ribbon? I have to admit that I DO, and I never seem to have enough (smile).

I come from a military background. Both my father and my father-in-law fought in World War II and Korea. I grew up in a military town, and I cried at the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington, DC as I found the names of classmates and friends who gave their lives during that conflict. It saddens me that different ideologies, faiths, economic greed, land disputes, and philosophies cause wars. Here in the US, many of us went to the polls on Tuesday to vote for men and women we wanted to fill government positions from the local level to the national level. I am reminded of how many people are not able to freely vote for people they want running their towns, cities, states or country. I am reminded of how our forefathers and our fathers fought to ensure we have that right, and while I grieve each and every life lost in war, I am thankful that there were brave men and women who were willing to make the sacrifice to give me that and other freedoms.

The verse on my card reads, "Remember, freedom is NOT free." Another sentiment which I really like and find very appropriate is, "All gave some; some gave all." Let us honor and remember our heroes, known and unknown, who keep us safe and who fight for the dignity of all people everywhere.

Challenges:
http://www.craftysentiments.blogspot.com/ - Poppies
http://critterchallengeblog.blogspot.com/ - Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day
http://daisydoodlescreativechallenges.blogspot.com/ - Veteran's Day/Remembrance
http://ladyanneschallenges.weebly.com/stamp-challenge.html - Anything Goes



 

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful card and with your sentiment on our forces and how we should all remember those who have fought for our freedom and are still fighting. I have always loved poppies and they always carry that symbol of remembrance with them. Your card is stunning your colouring of the poppy shows your love. Thank you for sharing with us at Lady Anne's. I hope we see you again.
    Love ~ Lady Anne xx
    cardsbyladyanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card and such heartfelt words, thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a stunning card, Jenee, and I love everything about it. Your colouring really stands out and the neutral matting makes the poppies the real focus....lovely sentiment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely card. Thank you for sharing your talent with us at Crafty Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the solid warmth of your card! Being thankful each day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card!!! I love the poppies and your sentiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jenee wow what a super card well done .Thank you so much for joining us at The Crafty Sentiments Designs Challenge “POPPIES” . Your card is fabulous well done and good luck Hugs Elaine .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card. Thanks for joining us for Lady Anne's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card--and the poppy was the perfect image to use in the Critter Sketch Veteran's Day challenge. thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful card. Thank you for joining in this week's Crafty Sentiments Challenge.
    Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card
    Thank you for joining us this week over at Crafty Sentiments
    Love Jan
    xx

    ReplyDelete