Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Let's Do the Islands!


I have to smile at this week's challenge theme for Inky Impressions. Our theme is VACATION. Why does that make me smile? Not for the reason that some of you may think. The reason I am smiling is because as of Monday (5 August), school started back for the kids, so vacation time is over. If I were still teaching, I would have been back to work for two full days now (not counting the week of pre-planning prior to the students arriving). Ah, there are some benefits to being retired (smile).

For my card, I've used Hula Lili (LI09-HL02). Isn't she pretty? Before I go further and tell you about my card, I'd like to share a side note with you all. I am allergic to Hawaii! The beautiful flowers found all over the islands and my allergies do NOT get a long at all. Quite a few years back, my husband and I spent a week on the big island. In less than 48 hours after our plane touched down, I was sneezing, eyes oozing and in full allergy mode! Managed to still have a very nice week despite of things, but we continue to laugh to this day over the fact that I'm allergic to many people's dream vacation spot, beautiful Hawaii!

OK, walk down memory lane is over. Time to get back to business at hand (smile). I've used a white card base and some very old (think about 15 years old) designer paper which I bought specifically to use with our pictures from Hawaii. The paper is from a company called "The Paper Patch" and has white hibiscus printed on it. The companion piece (the side strip) simply has matching white dot swirls. I matted the side strip on white after punching one side using a Martha Steward border punch. I've tucked a Wilton paper doily under the strip and behind my image. Keeping with the white hibiscus look, I've used three paper flowers. Behind the flowers, I've tucked a Cheery Lynn leaf flourish which I cut from white. I added pearls to the center of the flowers and to the right upper and lower corners of the card.

I typed my sentiment and printed it off to white card. I then took one of my Spellbinder label dies and placed the top of the die so that it would cut around the wording, giving me a decorative mini-label which I tucked to the side of my image. It reads, "Have a Swingin' Vacation." Now I realize that many of us do not send cards to people going on vacation, so this could easily be changed out to read, "Have a Swingin' Birthday" (or swingin' graduation, retirement or whatever fits your need).

Whether your vacation is over, just starting, half-way through or just a future dream, we do hope that you will come visit us at the Inky Impressions blog and have a look at the great inspiration cards shared by our DT. Then we do hope that we will have inspired you enough to join us in this week's challenge.

Until next time, Aloha!

Challenges Entered

A Little Bit Crafty - Summer Sun

The Pink Elephant - Texture
Crafty Creations - Texture
The Crazy Challenge - Anything Goes
Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes

MilkCoffee Challenge - Coloring

10 comments:

  1. So fun and cute. I love all that red and white and touch of green of her grass skirt. Cute image too!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so much fun Jenee! Beautifully colored with the very attractive 'pop' of white doily and lacey border!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Jenee!! Love the way you colored the image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. Thanks for playing along at Crafty Creations! Hugs Anna-Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenee, your card is perfect for the theme, but that image is a bit revealing, LOL. I can definitely see her swaying the way you colored her..and the paper is what i think of vacation in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun card!! I like the tucked doily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card, well done! Thanks for joining us at the Crazy Challenge.

    groetjes, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Jenee! I just adore your colouring on this beauty, she really pops off the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fabulous creation!! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents with us at Papertake Weekly and hope you join us again soon!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete